The University of Michigan HomeLab is a homelike research environment with comprehensive research support provided by the BioSocial Methods Collaborative.
Located at the Institute for Social Research, the HomeLab offers a a fully functional apartment to facilitate human-centered research in a wide variety of contexts such as:
- Interpersonal interaction
- Physical rehabilitation
- Internet of Things
- Eating and nutrition
- Self-regulation and behavior
- Specialized furnishings
- Interviewer assessment and training
Integrated into the HomeLab is an extensive suite of physiology measurement tools and access to an on-site biospecimen lab.
Technical specifications include:
- An integrated AV recording system connected with a suite of sensors
- Dedicated servers for short-term data storage
- Residential cable, wireless internet and cell service; U-M internet
- ADA accommodation
- Color tunable lighting for dawn, day, dusk, or night effect
- Controlled hot water temperature
- Flexible furnishing arrangements
- Humidity control
- An enclosed HVAC system
- Functional appliances and plumbing
- Technology and observation room
BioSocial Methods Collaborative Laboratory
The BioSocial Methods Collaborative Laboratory offers researchers a unique experimental space for conducting innovative research. Our mission is to provide investigators with the resources needed for:
- Interdisciplinary research: Provide tools and methodological support for studies bridging the bio/psycho/social sciences.
- Simultaneous, synchronized data capture: View experiments from multiple perspectives using an integrative data acquisition system.
- Mobile, modular, & wireless projects: Mix and match lab technologies to allow greater range of motion in more comfortable and natural research interactions. Resources are specially tailored to match your project’s needs.
To get a sense of the type of projects conducted in the BioSocial Methods Collaborative Laboratory, check out our Case Studies page.
Pre-Award: Consult with interdisciplinary methodology specialists for assistance with experimental design, analysis planning, and budgeting for grant proposals. Graduate Students: Receive help identifying and applying to appropriate funding sources.
Post-Award: Book laboratory space (dry lab) for data collection. Engage the help of Collaborative staff with participant recruitment, data collection, data cleaning, and documentation of your experiment. Utilize temporary secure data storage. Consult with interdisciplinary methodology and statistics specialists for assistance with data analysis.
- Research design consultations
- Laboratory space (dry lab)
- Coordination with the ISR BioSpecimen Lab
- Specialized research equipment and software
- Participant recruitment
- Data collection
- Temporary secure data storage
- Data cleaning and documentation
Download the latest Laboratory Services brochure.
Equipment & Software
The Lab provides access to equipment, software, and staff for a growing variety of data collection modalities. To learn more, follow the corresponding links under Equipment & Software.
Looking for a service, piece of equipment, or software not yet offered by the Lab? Take a 2-minute survey to let us know. Help guide the growth of the Lab.
|Modality||Equipment & Software|
|Automated facial expression coding||Noldus FaceReader 6 / iMotions Emotient|
|Behavioral coding||Noldus The Observer XT 12|
|Experiment design & stimuli presentation||E-Prime / DirectRT / MediaLab / iMotions Core / Tobii Studio|
|EDA/GSR||Shimmer 3 GSR+ / BioNomadix EDA & PPG|
|EEG||ABM B-Alert X10|
|EKG||Shimmer ExG / ABM B-Alert X10|
|EMG||Shimmer ExG / BioNomadix EMG2|
|Eye tracking||Tobii TX300 / Tobii X2-60 Compact|
|Grip Strength/Pull Strength||Biopac TSD121C Hand Dynamometer|
|Optical pulse||Shimmer 3 GSR+ / BioNomadix EDA & PPG|
|Respiration (coming soon)||Shimmer ExG (custom)|
|Skin temperature (coming soon)||Shimmer Bridge Amplifier + Probe|
|Video recording||Logitech HD Webcam C920|
|Video editing||Mac Pro / Adobe Creative Cloud|
|Synchronized, multi-modal data collection||BIOPAC MP150 / iMotions / Cedrus StimTracker|
*Equipment and software offerings will be expanded over time based on demand.
Services are currently only available to investigators affiliated with the University of Michigan. A U-M shortcode is required for billing.
Every project is unique. The Lab provides tailored services for U-M researchers. Investigators interested in initiating a project should contact the Lab to discuss their needs.
M-F, 9:00 AM-5:00 PM
Research Center for Group Dynamics
Institute for Social Research
426 Thompson Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48106